Wednesday, June 28, 2006

St John The Baptist Church Burial Ground

Behind the stone wall and black iron locked gate lies a burial ground that could be known as the Irish Grave Yard since most of the names if not all of them as written on the headstones were of Irish descent. So among all the McBrides, Donahues, Gallaghers, Doughertys and Murphys are those who were once parish members of St John's and lived, worked and prayed in this little town called Manayunk.

This tiny church cemetery was hard to walk in because of its steep hills. Many times I had to remove my shoes to get more leverage so I could avoid falling and rolling down the hill myself.
It made me wonder how those bodies of the decease were interred on those hills and from the look of some of those headstones which have fallen down over time it was a wonder they could be erected on those hills at all.

We have relatives interred here but like most of our relatives there is not a headstone to indicate their burial place. However, since I did research the cemetery records I have the location and have photographed it anyway.

Relatives interred here are John and Sally (Keller) Gallagher and Baby Brian McCaffery. I have been told that John and Ellen Boland are interred here. However, I have not yet found records to substantiate that claim.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»