Friday, July 14, 2006

Diary Of A Move

Day One

The rain came tumbling down as I made settlement. After signing numerous forms, I was handed the keys and became the owner of a three bedroom, two bathroom, seventy five year old house in Roxborough.

That afternoon, Bill loaded up his pickup truck with boxes, we arrived at the new house. The first thing on our agenda was to clean and clean we did.


Day Two

Mom and Dad arrived to help clean. Mom took over the kitchen while Dad began the task of cleaning the twenty windows in this house. I took down old window curtains and started on the house's woodwork and ceiling fixtures. Bill continued bringing the boxes from my other residence. Before long the cable guy arrived to install the Direct TV Satellite Dish while one of the two furniture stores I expected furniture from this week came with the bedroom and breakfast room sets. Shaun came at noon to install a chandelier in the dining room and a ceiling fan in what is to be a Kids' room for Shaun Patrick and Nikolas. Bill and I met the new neighbors Thomas and Lisa to our right and an elderly gentlemen Win to our left. By evening we met a third neighbor down the block. I think I am going to like living here.

Day Three

Mom and Dad came back to finish the tasks they started. Mom borrowed my sister's "cleaning lady" for the day to help clean the bathrooms and the family room. Soon Shaun arrived with a painter friend to give me an estimate on some rooms I want painted ASAP especially the "very pink" girl's room upstairs that will soon become a "very military" boy's room for Shaun and Nikolas when they come to visit. The second furniture store delivery came and set up the dining room set but had to take the sectional for family room back since the corner piece could not fit through the doorway. By evening my sons Shaun and Joey along with their friend Billy came to load up the truck and carry everything from one house to the other. It was a long night and by its end everyone was exhausted.

Day Four

Mom and Dad are back again but this time Mom and I escape to the store to shop for bathroom curtains and other miscellaneous things. Dad stayed behind with Bill and Joey and finished up the last morsel of things to be moved in the house. But this time we all took a well deserved break and had lunch out on the deck that overlooked the river at the Brewery in Manayunk.

Day Five

Today was a day of rest. I had coffee in bed while I read the Sunday newspaper. Though I did manage to put a few things away and dust a few other things, I mainly took it easy. As a matter of fact I did not even get out of my pajamas. And the best part is I did not even feel guilty about it. By late afternoon, Shaun, Trish and the boys arrived with a surprise, a grill for outback!

It will be weeks before I get settled in and it could be months before I get through each and every box.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»