Friday, February 16, 2007

Charles Sumner Walsh

Charles was the only son of Harry and Regina Cafferty Walsh. He was also the only relative of ours who was killed during the Vietnam War at the tender age of 19 years old.

Date of birth was October 8th, 1948. Date of death was March 15th, 1968. Date Charles was interred at Beverly National cemetery was April 1st, 1968. He is buried in Section X, Site 1664 with his parents.

Charles was a Marine and according to folklore, he was killed by friendly fire when the jeep he was riding in blew up. He supposedly lost both his legs in the explosion.

On a personal note, I remember the day Charles was buried. My parents would not allow me to attend the funeral so on that day I was in school. While sitting in my classroom at St. Bridget's, the church bells of St. Bridget's began ringing once his funeral mass was over. Though, I did not remember/know this cousin, I remember feeling sad as I sat listening to those church bells ringing. It may have been my imagination but I remember thinking that those bells were ringing a very long time which would not be surprising if the funeral procession was long. One more thing I remember on that day was when those church bells rang, my teacher stopped what she was doing and had us all say a pray.

In the future, I will post a newspaper article about Charles and a photo of him.

No comments: