Saturday, February 03, 2007

Nicholson

I went over to Westminster Cemetery to obtain burial information and pictures of the Nicholson grave site. In addition, I took another series of photographs which I will share later of the cemetery in general which included some more Keller and Ritter grave sites which may or may not be related to us. After I research the various names, I will be able to tell you whether or not there is any family connection.

Nicholson is the married name of grandmom, Anna Marie (McCaffery) Gallagher's first cousin on her mother's side. Helen (Malervy) Nicholson was the daughter of Daniel and Katherine (Aunt Kate) (Boland) Malvery. Aunt Kate was the sister of Bridget (Boland) McCaffery and the woman who took grandmom into her home after her own grandmother Ellen (Doherty) Boland died sometime in 1920. Bridget McCaffery died in 1915.

Because Helen and my grandmother were raised together, this was the closest of any sibling grandmom would ever know. Both girls were only children.

Helen E. Malvery married Mahon Nicholson and they resided on Manayunk Avenue their entire married lives. Mahon Nicholson (1914) died November 14the, 1972. Helen (1915), his wife died May 2nd, 1988. Just recently on December 22nd, 2005 their daughter Regina (Jean) died. She left one sister also named Helen. Both Nicholson sisters never married and lived at the same Manayunk address as their parents. Helen still lives in that house today.

About one year before Regina (Jean) passed away, I had the great opportunity to speak with her and she was instrumental in providing me much needed background information on the Boland family. As a matter of fact, if it was not for her I would have never known that John and Ellen (Doherty) Boland lived in Lower Merion Township (once West Manayunk) in the year 1910. It was this informational tip that lead me into the correct research direction. I only wished she survived long enough for me to have provided her the missing links, she so desired of her parents' past.

Mahon, Helen and Regina Nicholson are interred in Lot 89, Grave E 1/2 number 2 in Section "Barmouth". The Barmouth Section of Westminster Cemetery overlooks Belmont Avenue. Mahon and Helen have a headstone. As of today's date, there is no headstone for Regina.

In a post note, I also revisited Bethany German Lutheran Cemetery and took more pictures of the grave-stones. I also photographed the old Bethany German Lutheran Church where our Keller, Voigt and Ritter relatives once worshipped at. All pictures will be posted at a later date.

No comments: