Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Small World Indeed

3907 Ridge Avenue (red brick house left of the white stucco house) View taken from Laurel Hill Cemetery.

I received the below comments on some of my blog posts from Marijane, a woman who shares some family history background with our family. Not only did her ancestors live in the 3907 Ridge Avenue house as the Schroeders then Gallaghers once did but her ancestor worked at Laurel Hill Cemetery and even lived on the cemetery grounds itself.
It is a small world indeed, is it not?


I am thrilled to have met Marijane "via" interent and when she comes down to Philadelphia to photograph the South grounds of Laurel Hill for her own family records, we hope to meet up.


"I loved your history of East Falls. My ggrandfather raised his kids at 3907 ridge Avenue. He worked at Dobson & his kids went to St. Bridgets. His father-in-law lived and worked at Laurel Hill Cemetery until his death in 1881. Thanks"


"My gggrandfather started to work at Laurel around 1840. He was in charge of the South Gate... While he helped Hugh Scott clear his land he met Drennam who became the first supt. Then his son became the next super. I don't know how it came about that my John Conway ended up living in the house on the grounds. His daughter, Louise Conway Denby, played the piano and organ for the funerals at the Chapel before it was pulled down. I have lots of family buried in the old section.I have to come down (I live in Doylestown) and take pictures of the South gate and the house for my Conway family history.It would be fun to meet you and share the history of the area. Your history is fabulous!! "



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally! I know less than 0 about posting to a blog and it took me a LONG time to figure out how to be part of this! I'm a Philly genealogist working on the McManus family for a client. There are ties to St John's/St Bridget's church, Manayunk, the Conways and the Denbys that I see mentioned. One of my client's ancestors was also a Laurel Hill groundskeeper. Thomas McManus lived at 35th & Cemetery St upon his death in 1878. How can I put my client in contact with the poster who has these surnames in her family history? He doesn't have email but can be reached in the evenings by phone. Is there a way to privately email people who leave comments or,for that matter, to Pat? I'm so confused!

Jeffords said...

I am the great great grandchild of John Dobson founder of the Dobson Mills...I am looking to put up a memorial to the Dobson Mills and its workers...I would like to speak to the descendants of any of the Dobson Mills' workers...if they would like to have their ancestor's name included on the monumemt..

Especially this lady...and her family..

Elizabeth Dobson Jeffords