Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Thinking Spring While The Snow Is Falling

If you have not guessed by the title of today's post, it is snowing here again. Pretty as it may be I cannot help but wish for the warmer weather of Springtime. So much so that I placed an order this morning for a few things I wish to plant this Spring/Summer from an on-line nursery.

I am a gardener at heart. I love to plant a variety of things in my garden and sit back and watch them bloom. This past Fall, one hundred bulbs were planted in the front and side gardens of my house. It is sort of a hit or miss thing and I will not know my success until they begin to bloom sometime next month.

This morning I ordered three Lemon Grass Plants which I plan to plant in containers in the back yard. Lemon Grass is an excellent source of natural citronella which I hope helps repel some of the mosquitoes we get in abundance during the Summer months around here. They are great plants because they can be placed in either the sun or shade and survive. I can also bring them indoors during the Winter months.

Another thing I ordered was a Blueberry Plant complete with pot and soil which will be a project for my grandsons Shaun and Nikolas. I am going to teach them to plant and grow their own Blueberries this Summer. Shaun loves to eat Blueberries so what better way to eat them then to grow them yourself.

I ordered a Climbing Shell Plant for the shepherds hook in the front yard that proudly holds the Bird-house Shaun made two years ago. I thought the flowers would look pretty climbing up the pole and around the Bird-house.

Of course, I cannot forgot the Cascadia Petunias for the three hanging baskets that will be placed on the front porch. I decided this year I would try the magenta-red blossoms.

Finally, I ordered what it called an Arctic Flame Red Rose Bush to plant in honor of Bill's recently deceased mother because she loved Red Roses. I am not sure where we will plant it yet but I am sure we will find the perfect place. It is one of those Sub-Zero Rose Bushes that is suppose to be hardy in all types of weather and resists most Rose problems. I decided to go with this type because I have other Rose Bushes that seem to have a problem with spots/insects since we moved in this house last Summer. Needless to say, the Arctic Rose will not be planted near these Roses. Hopefully, I will be able to get a handle on these Rose problems this year or I will need to remove them.

No comments: