Friday, August 10, 2007

The Northern Home

Founded in 1853 by Elizabeth Hutter and originally located at 22nd and Brown Streets in the Fairmount Section of Philadelphia, this home was relocated to the "Houghton Mansion" once owned by Vaughan Merrick in the Wissahickon Section of Philadelphia for poor and neglected children under the age of 12 years old. They did not have to be orphans.

Today, the home still exists.

It also should be noted that Elizabeth Hutter was a nurse who served during the Civil War and who also established the "The Soldiers' Orphans' Institute at 23rd and Parish Street for those children left fatherless during the war. This home was supported by the state of Pennsylvania.

1 comment:

2bme said...

Hi Pat - I so thank you for visiting my blog. I don't have many readers so I always appreciate when someone new visits. I enjoyed reading yours and enjoyed reading about your dog...very funny. I have been off line for awhile do to computer issues - which for the time appeared to be fixed. I am looking forward to catching up on my reading.
Till next time....