Friday, September 28, 2007

What Was Once Known As Dobson Row

Why photograph abandon houses you may ask? Because once they are torn down the history is gone and being born in East Falls makes me nostalgic for a time long gone. A time when life was simple. A time when I felt nothing but happiness. A time when all the neighbors knew one another and actually enjoyed each other's company. For long summer nights hanging out on the front steps chatting with friends.

One such area of East Falls held a lot of memories especially for my mother. She knew nearly everyone on this small block of rowhouses. Houses built for the employees of the once popular Dobson Mills.
Today, the old mill has been torn down and in its place are these condos as seen here on the other side of the railroad tracks as I stand on Dobson Row.
Those who lived on Dobson's Row had the railroad as their view from the street and their backyards. I am not sure when the last member of this historic block moved out but I was told there were residents as of ten years ago.
Less than a dozen homes on this block known as Dobson Row.
Dobson Row lead into another once historic street known as P&R Railroad Road that once contained a series of "Trinity" rowhouses that ran along the railroad tracks. These houses on this small alley-like cobblestone road were built for the employees of the railroad in the late 19th century. Today, the houses are gone and the street (alley) is overgrown with weeds and gated off. I remember cutting through this street on my way home from St. Bridget's as a little girl.
When I look at these homes I could almost see the life that once danced in them.
Today, they await the bulldozer.

1 comment:

Ruth Ann said...

Pat,

Where are these houses located I don't think I have ever seen them.

Ruth Ann