Monday, June 30, 2008
They were not so bad walking down, but very daunting walking back up, especially after walking up and down Main Street, then walking up the steep hills at Roxborough Avenue, before climbing the stairs back up onto Terrace Street.
We felt like real Manayunkers/Roxboroughians using these stairs, as our ancestors a hundred years ago used them often to travel between Manayunk and Roxborough all the time.
This is Bill being his usual silly, goofy, weird self at Pretzel Park. The park is actually shaped into a pretzel. For a little bit of trivia, do you think they created the park, then named it, or named it, then created a park into the shape of a pretzel?
Sunday, June 29, 2008
For some reason, it was comforting to know that my grandparents once sat in this same park years gone past. It gave me a sense of peace and serenity. I have also brought my grandsons Shaun & Nikolas to this park as well.St. Josaphat's Polish Catholic Church is in the background at right of where I sat on the bench in Pretzel park. St. Josaphat's is located at Cotton & Silverwood. What is interesting about this church and its location is both sides of my children's families lived on the blocks around this church. The Zysk family lived at 162 Roxborough Avenue in 1910, then moved around the corner to 4334 Silverwood Street in 1920. The Wisloski/Weleski family lived on 166 Roxborough Avenue in 1910 until the 1970's.
St. John the Baptist is in the background to the left of where I sat on the bench in pretzel Park located at Rector & Cresson Streets. This is the church where my grandparents William & Anna Marie McCaffery Gallagher) were baptized, married and had four of their own children baptized at. My great grandmother Eva Wisloski was buried from this church in 1932. Her sons Andrew and Samuel Wisloski were also buried from this church in 1938.
Saturday, June 28, 2008
- Enlisted June 3, 1918.
- Served with AEF in France
- Sailed from US on July 14, 1918
- Returned in US July 12, 1919
- Private in CO 57th Engineer
- Died October 8, 1964
- Interred at Beverly National Cemetery
- Grave 4125-Section X
Anthony (Antoni) Dabkowski (1868) immigrated from Poland in 1888. Married Frances (Franciszeka) Dombrowska Mrozinski (1872) who immigrated in 1886.
When Anthony married Frances, she was a widow with five children; Adam, Steve, Josephine, Eva and Joseph.
Anthony and Frances went on to have four children of their own; Zygmunt, Anthony(1902), Stella (1903), Genevieve (1909) and Wanda(1912).
Anthony & Frances along with their children resided at 2708 Cambria Street in the Port Richard Section of Philadelphia. The house was three stories and contained four bedrooms and one bathroom which was added on later. Prior to the addition of the bathroom, the family used an outhouse in the backyard which still stands today. The house was purchased for 5,000 dollars.
Anthony's occupation in 1920 was a Blacksmith.
There a few differences in the 1930 as oppose to the 1920 census record. Anthony was a leather worker. His son Anthony was a Philadelphia Police Officer and residing in the house was Anthony's wife, Mary (1906) and Stella's husband, Anthony Zysk (1896). Anthony Zysk was listed as working in a Plush Mill.
Anthony Dabkowski (1868) is the father of Stella Dabkowski Zysk (1903) who is the mother of Alfred Zysk (1930) who is the father of Joseph Zysk (1959) who is the father of my sons.
Ignatius Zysk (1873) married to Catherine (Katernia Lajburski) (1872). Immigrated from Russia (abt 1890). Language spoken was Polish. Resided at 162 Roxborough Avenue. Occupation was a Iron Worker in a Steel Mill (probably Pencoyd).
Ignatius and Catherine lived at 4334 Silverwood Street. Occupation listed was a Rigger at the Shipyard. Both Ignatius and Catherine became US Citizens in 1916.
Ignatius Zysk(1873) was the father of Anthony Zysk(1896) who was the father of Alfred Zysk (1930) who was the father of Joseph Zysk (1959) who is the father of my sons.
Monday, June 23, 2008
- Vincent J. Franciso married Mildred Cafferty (daughter of Bernard & Mary Boland Cafferty) on September 27, 1941. Mildred's residence at time of her marriage was 4024 Ridge Ave.
- Daniel Lordan married Catherine Bednarski (daughter of Peter & Eva Wisloski Bednarski) on May 3, 1942. Catherine's residence at time of her marriage was 3913 Ridge Ave. Records also indicated that Catherine Bednarski was baptized at St. Josaphats in Manayunk on March 11, 1917.
- Lester Dilts married Margaret Cafferty (daughter of Bernard & Mary Boland Cafferty) on July 31, 1944.
- Vincent Martin married Dorothy Haggerty (daughter of Edward & Margaret Cafferty (sister of Bernard) Haggerty on November 23, 1946.
- Walter W. Frith married Dorothy G. Ahern on June 28, 1947. Walter's residence at time of marriage was 3124 N. 35th Street. Dorothy's address at time of marriage was 3432 Allegheny Ave. Records indicated that Walter Frith was baptized at Most Precious Blood on November 20, 1921 and he was the son of William & Mary Sheppard Frith.
- Edmund McCarthy married Florence Dalessandro (daughter of Charles & Mary Mervine Schroeder) on October 21, 1948. Florences's residence at time of marriage was 3907 Ridge Ave. Edmund's residence at time of marriage was 3125 Shedwick Street.
- Laurence George Smith married Claire Esther Murphy on March 19, 1953. Claire's residence at time of marriage was 3220 Sudgens Row. Marlene McKernan stood as witness.
- Francis X. Thorpe (son of Francis & Barbara Murphy Thorpe) married Doris E. Schroeder (daughter of John & Edith Dornan Schroeder) on August 15, 1953. Francis's residence at time of marriage was 3216 Dobson Row. Doris's residence at time of marriage was 3335 Clearfield Street. Witnesses were George Mahon & Barbara Thorpe. Marriage was annuled on December 20, 1974.
- Bernard Joseph Cafferty (son of Bernard & Mary Boland Cafferty) married Delores Brash (daughter of Edward & Mary Lavery Brash) on October 3, 1955. Bernard's residence at time of marriage was 4028 Ridge Ave.
- Richard J. Mahon married Elaine Rodgers (daughter of Elwood & Helen Schroeder Rodgers) on October 21, 1954. Elaine's residence at time of marriage was 3333 Clearfield Street.
- John J. Leahy (son of James & Mary Shannon Leahy) married Marlene A. McKernan (daughter of John & Mary Frith McKernan) on August 18, 1956. John's residence at time of marriage was 4602 Canton Street. Marlene's address at time of marriage was 3913 Ridge Ave. Witnesses were James Leahy & Joan Donovan. Marriage was annuled on December 11, 1984 in Raleigh, North Carolina. Records indicated that Marlene A. McKernan was baptized at St. Columbus Church on January 13, 1935.
- William Schroeder (son of Charles & Mary Mervine Schroeder) married Johanna Murphy on September 12, 1936. William's residence at time of marriage was 3907 Ridge Ave.
- Bernard Cafferty son of Bernard & Mary Boland Cafferty was baptized on November 5, 1916. Godparents were Michael Gaffray & Ellen Boland.
- Margaret Cafferty daughter of Bernard & Mary Boland Cafferty was baptized on September 24, 1911.
- Helen Cafferty daughter of Bernard & Mary Boland Cafferty was baptized on March 24, 1914. Godparents were Ellen Boland & William Moran.
- Teresa Boland daughter of John & Margaret McGrath Boland was baptized on November 21, 1926. Godparents were Thomas & Catherine Reynolds.
- John Boland son of John & Margaret McGrath Boland was baptized on Febraury 26, 1928. Godparents were Marcus McAndrew & Maria Kennedy. Records indicated that John Boland married Margaret Dever on October 3, 1959 at St. Anthony's Church.
- Teresa Boland daughter of John & Margaret McGrath Boland, granddaughter of John & Ellen Doherty Boland died on August 26, 1928. Residence at time of death was 1 Laboratory Hill in East Falls. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- William Boland brother of John Boland died on December 8, 1943. Residence at time of death was 3366 Vaux Street in East Falls. Interred Westminster Cemetery.
- Mary Boland wife of William Boland died on July 10, 1929. Interred Westminster Cemetery.
- Bridget Cafferty wife of Michael Cafferty died on December 13, 1944. Residence at time of death was 3739 Calument Street in East Falls. Cause of death listed as Cancer. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Michael J. Cafferty father of Michael Cafferty died at the age of 93 yrs old on September 19, 1945. Residence at time of death was 4403 East Park Ave. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Vincent Martin Jr. son of Vincent & Dorothy Haggerty Martin died on September 30, 1947 shortly after birth. He was born and baptized at Germantown Hospital. Residence of parents at time of death was 3707 Midvale Ave. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- John Michael Cafferty husband of Anna Cafferty died on December 24, 1948 at Lakewood Hospital. Residence at time of death was 143 dowell Lundy Rd in Absicon, NJ. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Patrick De Franciso son of Vincent & Grace De Franciso was killed in action in Belguim on April 4, 1945 at age 19 yrs old. Residence at time of death was 3418 Sunnyside Ave. East Falls. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Mary C. Cafferty wife of Bernard Cafferty died on July 30, 1950 at the age of 67 yrs old. Residence at time of death was 4024 Ridge Ave. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Mary Frith wife of Harry Frith died August 20, 1951 at the age of 69 yrs old. Residence at time of death was 3124 N. 35 th Street. Interred Mt. Peace Cemetery.
- Grace De Franciso wife of Vincent De Franciso died on February 12, 1952. Residence at time of death was 3418 Sunnyside Ave. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Baby Girl Wood daughter of Walter Wood died on February 6, 1952 at Miscercordia Hospital. She was 5 hrs old. Residence at time of death was 4907 Ridge Ave. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Michael J. Cafferty husband of Marie Cafferty died at the age of 64 yrs old on August 23, 1958. Residence at time of death was 3739 Calument Street. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- William J. Boland husband of Ida Boland died on July 20, 1960 at the age of 67 yrs old at Roxborough Memorial Hospital. Residence at time of death was 3414 Osmond Street. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Bernard Cafferty husband of Mary Boland Cafferty died on February 8, 1962 at the age of 85 yrs old. Residence at time of death was 4239 Ridge Ave, home of his daughter Regina Walsh. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- John J. Boland husband of Margaret McGrath Boland, son of John & Ellen Doherty Boland died on September 4, 1964 at the age of 69 yrs old in Germantown Hospital. Residence at time of death was 4712 Wayne Ave. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Helen Wood died on September 13, 1969 at the age of 74 yrs old. Residence at time of death was 3409 Clearfield Street. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Margaret Boland wife of John Boland died on April 13, 1970 at the age of 75 yrs old in the Wissahickon Nursing Home. Interred Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
- Charles S. Walsh son of Harry & Regina Cafferty Walsh was killed in action in Vietnam on March 1, 1968 at the age of 19 yrs old. Residence at time of death was 4038 Ridge Ave. Interred Beverly National Cemetery.
As a post note; Most of the Cafferty Family Members were buried out of McIlvaine Funeral Home.
Also, I did not go through all the records. Therefore, I will be making another trip back to St. Bridget's. The above is the result of an entire day of research at the rectory.
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Monday, June 02, 2008
John's brothers also resided in that same section of East Falls on and around Calumet Street as John's son. Mary Boland Cafferty (his daughter) resided on the 4000 block of Ridge Avenue and owned several Ridge Avenue properties.
I have a list of the records, I found over at St. Bridget's including my own, since I was baptized there, attended grade school, and made my First Holy Communion & Confirmation there. I will post them soon.
On another note regarding St. Bridget's, I got to tour a little of the rectory. What a beautiful building the rectory was, which has woodwork, ect. dating back to the middle 1850's. The place is grand. I wonder if it was someone's old house at one time? I will need to research the history.