Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Julia Wisloski

Was the youngest child of Lucas and Eva Wisloski who was born in 1906 after the death of her father. Folklore states that Julia displeased her family by marrying someone whom the family did not approve. This information made it difficult to track Julia because she resided at home in 1920, but by 1930, she no longer resided at the 166 Roxborough Ave address. Years ago, I asked my own father about his aunt Julia. He told me that Julia was disowned by the family due to marriage or religion and like everything else in his family, it was not allowed to be talked about. Same rule apparently applied to the death of Lucas prior to Julia's birth. Julia is not interred in the family plot at Westminster as are her sisters and brothers along with her mother and sibling spouses.

I came across a marriage record of Julia Wisloski who married an Anthony Coppola in 1924. That explains why she did not reside home in 1930. However, there are still many unanswered questions such as why I cannot find Julia and Anthony in 1930 or 1940. Why was her older brother, my grandfather, John Wisloski allowed to marry a German Lutheran Marie Schroeder and not be disowned. Marie did not change her religion to Catholic. However, she did have her children baptized in the Catholic faith vs. the Lutheran faith. The name Coppola suggests that Anthony was Italian, therefore probably a Catholic. Was Julia disowned for marrying an Italian vs. Polish? Again that standard did not hold for my grandfather who was Polish and married a German.

It is my goal to search out Julia and Anthony and trace their whereabouts. Some questions may never be answered, but I never thought I would find my great grandfather Lucas, and I did after false leads and endless research. Julia is a puzzle to be solved.

No comments: