Saturday, April 14, 2012

Spiritual Progress Is Made Through Confronting Death and Calamity

I swear I just picked up this book and opened it to any page and this was the title. This guy from 94 CE known as Epictetus wrote some amazing stuff and whether it is Karma or Luck or God Or some Creature from Outer Space, why would I open a book up to this particular page on this particular day after last night? If someone has the answer, I sure as hell would love to know. Epictetus writes the following;
"Instead of averting your eyes from the painful events of life, look at them squarely and contemplate them often. By facing the realities of death, infirmity, loss and disappointment, you free yourself of illusions and false hopes and you avoid miserable, envious thoughts."

It does not matter how old your children get, a mother feels their pain. Even though a mother wants to fix it and make the pain go away, she knows she is helpless in many situations and can only stand by and offer words of comfort, a hug, send flowers, and remember. My son is taking this loss extremely hard and when he tells me how "unfair" this is, I can only answer "I know". "Hold on to each other and grieve", I said. It is the only way.

I left class early today and went to see my son who has a birthday next week and to play with my grandsons. As Bill played basketball with the older one, I pushed the younger one around on a swing hanging off of one of their trees. Hell. I even took a turn and swung in circles. Next weekend, we celebrate my Dad's birthday. It is a surprise. I think I will take the boys overnight or at least the one whose life is not filled with baseball. The older one has one hell of a sport's life.

There are many things which occur in life that I do not understand. I suppose I am not to understand them only to accept them.  Life is a journey and I am a prime example.  

No comments: