Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Anhedonia

"Anhedonia" is derived from the Greek "a-" (without) "hedone" (pleasure, delight). Other words derived from "hedone" include hedonism (a philosophy that emphasizes pleasure as the main aim of life), hedonist (a pleasure-seeker), and hedonophobia (an excessive and persistent fear of pleasure).

I love working with Dr.C. He is always accessible, helpful and a good sounding board when one of his therapists wants to talk whether it be about a patient and/or self. We talked about some of my nightmares, feelings of loss and my inability to feel a sense of joy in the things that always brought me great joy such as gardening, vacationing, or just doing nothing. This began last July and although I get up everyday and go to work, laugh with my coworkers, smile at my patients, teach classes, attend classes and go on with everyday life, I lost a part of my self and the simple things that were once joyful are now just "numb". I do not feel depressed and have no symptoms of depression, but that inability to feel joy.

Anhedonia.

Dr. C told me I was experiencing Anhedonia, the inability to feel pleasure. His recommendation was to spend 30 minutes everyday in the sun. I have been spending 30 minutes a day in the sun when its actually out. No magic pill. No therapy. Just sunshine.

I like him because he combines medication with holistic approaches. In my case, holistic.

So simple. So easy. It works.  I finally entered a department store for the first time in ten months.

No comments: