Friday, September 07, 2012

Day Four

I saw some of the damage done by Issac today. Though, the Garden District did not flood, it sustained wind damage. We saw plantation style homes with their windows still boarded up, trees and wires down, construction crews and the National Guard all over town. When we got off the trolley, we had to step over a wire that still hung. We stopped at a place called O'Henry's and sat on the upstairs balcony and ate Bourbon style chicken and Death by Bananas dessert. Believe it or not, it was the first dessert I actually ordered since our arrival here.
This place is known for eating peanuts and tossing them on the floor.
This was a beer on someone else's table.
A glass of wine here cost 4 dollars as oppose to the 10 dollars in or near the French Quarter. What is cheap on Bourbon Street is cheap brand beer. French Quarter is expensive to eat so if you come down here walk down some of the little side streets where you will find delicious Cajun food at a better price.
The only way to travel to the Garden District. By the way, I wonder if the trolley driver will one day see this blog post and say, I never gave her permission to photograph my back.
Death by bananas. Does not seem so scary to me.
Other sights.
Back to the hotel, we came across these young folks.
It seems like everyone is doing some sort of hustling down here. I will tell you about the conversation I overheard on the bus trip back that soooo reminded me of work. It took everything in my power not to say, you guys need help.
But then, I remembered I was not at work but on vacation. Though I was taken back when I went into a local CVS to buy a bottle of water and came across wine, beer and every kind of liquor.
Down here you can buy alcohol anywhere and drink it while walking down the street.
If you tried doing this where we live, you would be arrested for public drunkenness, unlawful beverage that is open. Down here it is the way of life. I am going to have to research the statistics for chemical abuse in New Orleans vs. chemical abuse in Philadelphia and see what the % for addiction is between the two cities.

No comments: