Thursday, September 20, 2012

PTSD

Why do some people get PTSD and other people do not?

It is important to remember that not everyone who lives through a dangerous event gets PTSD. In fact, most will not get the disorder.
Many factors play a part in whether a person will get PTSD. Some of these are risk factors that make a person more likely to get PTSD. Other factors, called resilience factors, can help reduce the risk of the disorder. Some of these risk and resilience factors are present before the trauma and others become important during and after a traumatic event.
Risk factors for PTSD include:
  • Living through dangerous events and traumas
  • Having a history of mental illness
  • Getting hurt
  • Seeing people hurt or killed
  • Feeling horror, helplessness, or extreme fear
  • Having little or no social support after the event
  • Dealing with extra stress after the event, such as loss of a loved one, pain and injury, or loss of a job or home.
Resilience factors that may reduce the risk of PTSD include:
  • Seeking out support from other people, such as friends and family
  • Finding a support group after a traumatic event
  • Feeling good about one’s own actions in the face of danger
  • Having a coping strategy, or a way of getting through the bad event and learning from it
  • Being able to act and respond effectively despite feeling fear.
Researchers are studying the importance of various risk and resilience factors. With more study, it may be possible someday to predict who is likely to get PTSD and prevent it.

NIMH

My own comments in regards to PTSD as it has come to light as a result of the military men returning from war. When we think of PTSD, we think of war. However, most people who develop PTSD have never been to war, but have experienced a trauma in their everyday life.

When a trauma occurs, the first reaction is known as ASD (Acute Stress Disorder) and this is the time, one should seek help because ASD can lead to PTSD. Though, it should be known that everyone with ASD does not develop PTSD. There are several factors such as how long the trauma is prolonged, resilience factors and potential fall out from the trauma, especially if one loses the support of people or a loved one.

Despite my best efforts of avoiding PTSD, I have it. After 20 months of pushing ahead through ASD, throwing myself into work and school, taking over responsibilities of others, I found myself in the mist of all the symptoms associated with PTSD. I recognized them and tried to work through them until I was unable to do so on my own. I am not ashamed to admit the therapist has a therapist and for me talk therapy is best. Zoloft was replaced with Cymbalta. I will not take any other drug whether used on or off label. Since I worked with patients, I took a few weeks off to do some self care. The would haves, should haves, could haves will not change the course of my future or get back what I have lost. I know this now. All the responsibility I felt was not my responsibility at all. I learned this. There are emotional boundaries I need to set, but it will come with baby steps. I am now aware. One of my strengths is research and writing and this is the reason why my focus is on PTSD. It shows its ugly face through depression, angry, nightmares, feelings of self-doubt and extreme periods of anxiety. I am more fortunate than others as I have a very strong support system. I also know that I am not alone.  

No comments: