Sunday, April 21, 2013

Crawling Out of the Darkness Part I

Walking and Fundraising for NAMI is important to me. Everyday, there will be one more person diagnosed with Depression, Anxiety, a Personality Disorder, have their first psychotic break and be classified as Schizophrenic, struggle with OCD, PTSD and commit suicide as a result. getting the word out there and helping people get appropriate treatment costs money.

Did you know that Gandhi, Virginia Wolf, Syd Barrett, Mike Wallace, Audie Murphy, Teddy Roosevelt, Winston Churchill and Abraham Lincoln all struggled with Depression? Neither did I? Did you know that medication was not available as it is today? Do you ever wonder what life must have been like for them. Falling into the deep black hole with just a small ray of light and climbing inch by inch towards that light until light replaces darkness. Being afraid to never reach the light.

Depression is just, but one disease.

"Broken by it, I, too, maybe; bow to it, I never will." (Abraham Lincoln)

"Never give in-----never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense." (Winston Churchill)

"I may be branded by war, but I will not be defeated by it. " (Audie Murphy)

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world." (Gandhi)

Every time I reach out beyond myself, I find the hope that has led me out of the darkness." (Mike Wallace)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." (Teddy Roosevelt)  

No comments: