Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Red Hair, Green Eyes, Freckles



When I was a little girl not more than three, I sat upon your knee on the front marble steps on a warm summer night.

When I was a little girl not more than four, I knelt at the table and watched as you kneed the dough.

When I was a little girl not more than five, I sat on a stool and played while you placed laundry through an old time ringer washer.

When I was a little girl not more than six, I come to your house for a mid-day snack.

When I was a teenager not more than sixteen, I drove grandpop's car and we laughed and laughed.

When I was a teenager not more than eighteen, I stood in amazement as I watched you and grandpop renew your wedding vows after fifty years.

When I was a young woman not more than twenty, I sat by your side as you cried for the man you called your husband and I called my grandpop.

When I was a young mother not more than twenty-seven, I went shopping with you to buy my young son his first two wheel bike.

When I was a young mother not more than twenty-eight, I rushed you to the hospital when it was not yet eight. One day would follow when I sat by your side and told you had a cancer and could possibly die.

When I was a woman not more than thirty, I sat by your bedside and held your hand until the angels came down to take you.

I am now a woman not more than fifty-three and I miss you much as today you left us 23 years ago.

No comments: