Tuesday, May 30, 2017

It Is Real

I have been counseling for the last eleven years and each time I learn of a death my heart breaks in sadness. This former patient was motivated and did everything that was suggested. This patient even checked in from time to time to give a progress report. This same patient relapsed and overdosed Friday night. I hate heroin. It is the devil incarnate. I hate how it destroys lives. So I came home from work with a heavy heart and questioned the choice of profession I made. I could always go back to the lab. I have 20 years experience in the lab. Instead, I filled up the tub and took a long warm bath then threw in some laundry, washed the dishes and set up the coffee for tomorrow morning. Bill is over his elderly uncle and aunt's house fixing "something". He takes very good care of them though I wish he were here so I can chat with him and hear words of encouragement and wisdom.


Tomorrow, I will go back to work and do it all over again with the hope that the current group can beat this disease.

No comments: