Monday, November 13, 2017

Ranting,Gratitude, Him, I

People limit themselves by having beliefs about self then making choices that fulfill that prophecy. If you believe you are unable to do something then I guarantee that will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I was fortunate enough to be raised by two strong parents. As a result, I believe I am a strong person. Of course that does not mean I did not have adversity because anyone who knows me understands completely the adversity I encountered. But what makes me different than some other folks is I never gave up and I continued to move forward despite it all. When a female crosses my path and I hear all the reasons why they cannot do things, I cringe inside and think to myself "There goes those beliefs again" which ultimately result in a ton of excuses. Then, I proceed to counsel and teach what it means to be a self-sufficient woman who is independent and able to stand on her own two feet. First and foremost, I believe in education. If you did not complete a college education, I suggest you enroll in a class or two. Education is never a waste as it opens your mind and increases your self-esteem. And the beauty of education is it is never to late to start as education is meant to help you change and grow as a person and as human beings we are always changing and growing. Second, I believe everyone should have a job whether part time or full time. Work is a huge part of who we are and if you are fortunate enough to love the work you do then it never feels like work. When you go to work everyday you have a routine, meet new people, learn new things and with that paycheck you can achieve your goals. The added bonus is it takes you out of yourself.  We can become too self-absorbed. Third, I believe you need to stop making excuses why you cannot do something. If you are being held back by a particular issues then get help for that issue and put yourself out there. How are you ever going to grow and learn if you never take a chance? Last, I believe in love and with love comes another unexpected source of strength. Bill and I compliment each other. We like to travel together and share an interest in genealogy. We share a love of family. We take care of each other. He works  at Vanguard maintaining the computers on the trade floor and his photography hobby became a business with an additional source of income. When Bill was in his twenties and thirties, he was a roofer. When he fell off a roof and broke his back, he placed himself back in school and changed careers in his forties. He plays the guitar, writes music and sings. He is both strong and gentle at the same time. On the other hand, I am considered the "nerd" but I excel in science and always did well in school. I am fond of books and  I am a reader. I consume books and love historical fiction especially English History and American Biographies. I recently branched out into German History. I am a therapist who works in the mental health/drug & alcohol field. I have been a therapist the last ten years. Prior to returning to school and changing careers, I spent twenty years working in a Lab in a medical hospital. I always worked and I am the type of person who remains with the same employer. I have only had two employers in the last thirty years. I also raised three sons. Once upon a time, I played the piano however I do not play any longer. I keep thinking perhaps I will play again one day. I prefer to research and write. I have written a book and several articles as it relates to genealogy. Recently, I discovered I am fond of computer games. One thing I am not is domestic. Grant it, I enjoy decorating a house however I rarely cook and clean. I have a biweekly housekeeper and Bill does most of the cooking. However, I do all the shopping, laundry and bill paying so I guess we are even. As I mentioned earlier, we compliment each other. We are partners in this marriage.


Of course, I am home on medical leave recovering from back surgery so Bill has been doing double duty around here. I must admit that I hit the jack pot when I married him. I could not ask for a better person to take care of me as I recover. He is caring and attentive and no one has ever loved me more than he does. On that note, I believe I will close this post. 

No comments: