Monday, December 11, 2017


Six months ago we moved back into a house in a neighborhood where my ancestors have resided since 1850. In those six months we have put up with subtle forms of harassment such as complaints about our dog, never having a parking place outside our house, people ignoring our "friendly hello's", "pointing fingers" or "making inappropriate comments to others" in our ear shot. We are good people. We stay to ourselves. Up to Sunday evening we chose to ignore the harassment until we came home from my granddaughter's 3rd birthday party to a note on our door and then we were told to "get out of our neighborhood". I guess I know what it feels like to be a minority in a world of self-righteous judgemental people and no matter how many years pass I will always be remembered for the choices my son made. Some would say we never should have moved back. This is my home. Can I be once again pushed out? What are my rights?. I hate confrontation and I avoid it at all costs but Sunday night I confronted them and asked them if they ever considered what I went through as a mother. We will be harassed until we move out. Every time my dog barks they will call animal control. If I have an argument with my husband they will call the police.


Monday morning I was heart sick and there were a lot of tears. I reached out to my oldest son, my parents, my sister and my older brother for advice and support. I was encouraged to look into my legal rights. Harassment is difficult to prove without concrete evidence. I was told to keep all notes and emails sent to my work and it was recommended that I install cameras. My older brother is a retired Philadelphia Detective. My older son is a Philadelphia Inspector. My daughter-in-law is Director of Human Services in Philadelphia. All three are very knowledgeable in how things work in the city. My parents and sister provide endless support and they are my best cheerleaders.


I do not know what the future brings but I do know at this time we are not moving. We will not be pushed out. So if my dog barks then they can call animal control. If they want to call the police so be it. I cannot live in fear of harassment or threats. I only wish these folks would worry more about sweeping their own side of the street before trying to sweep ours.

No comments: