Friday, September 15, 2006

Did I Tell You........................

I fine people amazing. Sometimes it is just fun to watch and listen to what goes on around you. Like when I went to the salon to have my hair done. Not only did I discover that Roxborough was a predominately Catholic neighborhood but I found out every other female is named Mary. Just in the salon itself, there was Mary Jane, Mary Beth and Mary Frances. So either every other female was named after the Blessed Mother or every other mother in Roxborough likes the name Mary.

And in case you have forgotten, my mother was born here and she is Mary.

Oh and so was her grandmother named Mary.

Then there is Aunt Nana's daughter who is Mary.

Did I mention my great-grandfather had a sister Mary?

And yes they were all born here in Manayunk/Roxborough.

Not very creative here when the time came to name their daughters.


But probably the funniest part of my hair experience was when a woman walked into the salon and announced "If anyone is interested, I put my mother up for sale on e-bay. She called me so much today, she is on my last nerve."

I wonder if her mother was named Mary?

Then Joe (the guy who does my hair) and I got into a conversation about going to Catholic school at a time when nuns taught in the schools. He admitted to getting in trouble in school and that his eighth grade nun was called "Pig" The mature person that I am, I almost fell out of the chair in laughter. Not really a good idea when the guy standing behind you is holding a pair of scissors over your head. I also remember the days when nuns were the majority in Catholic school and I recalled a nun I had in eighth grade who was especially tough on the boys. She was called Tank.

And they say the nuns were cruel.

When the song "Let's get this party started" by the singer "Pink" played, we began to dispute what words she sang in the song. I insisted she was singing "I am coming out" while he insisted she was singing "I am coming up". He called his wife to have her look up the words. Can you believe this guy actually called his wife to prove me wrong. And regretfully I was wrong and he was right and this just enforced his "already" swollen head to grow even larger as to nearly explode on his shoulders.

This guy is as interesting as the Billy Idol hair on his head.

I wonder if his wife is named Mary.

No comments: