Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Too Much Time On My Hands

"Too Much Time On My Hands", I think there is a song out there with this title. Ok I admit it, I threw housework to the side on this very damp very rainy day and planted my ass on the sofa (which reclines nicely) in the Family Room and turned on the soaps. You know those multi-drama shows based on REAL LIFE. These same shows that if you miss a month you can still follow what is going on. Sure I could have vacuumed the Living Room or loaded up the dishwasher. But I JUST DID NOT FEEL LIKE It. I could have planted a few Spring bulbs. But, hell, it was raining and everyone knows I melt in the rain. I could have paid the bills on-line. But, hey, I did that yesterday. So after browsing through the book "Mermaids, Monasteries, Cherokees and Custer" that is based on the stories behind how Philadelphia got its Street names, I threw that book aside and turned on that magical thing called a "television".

And this is the story line I subjected myself too.......

Elizabeth is married to Lucky but slept with Jason and now she is pregnant. Of course she has no idea who the father of her unborn child is because naturally she slept with both men within the same day. Lucky slept with Maxie and now she is pregnant. Lou Lou who is Lucky's sister slept with Maxie's sister's boyfriend (whatever his name is) and she was pregnant but ended her pregnancy in abortion. Why did all these women get pregnant in an era where there is numerous ways to prevent such a thing? Not to mention all that talk about "Safe Sex". A company made defected condoms.....Yup, that is the entire story line.

We all know these shows are mindless entertainment. But this show got me thinking. What if I applied this story line to my family. Let's see how REAL LIFE it could be. .

Marianne is married to Ron but slept with Bill and now is pregnant. Of course she has no idea who the father of her unborn child is because naturally she slept with both men within the same day. Ron slept with Pat and now she is pregnant. Fran who is Ron's sister slept with Pat's sister's boyfriend (whatever his name is) and she is pregnant but ended her pregnancy in abortion. Oh and what company was responsible for making those "defected condoms"? Who else but Gallagher Brothers....

Let's just say if real life was even remotely close to what they show on television, we would all be hiding in the corner of our very dark closets popping pills and drinking tequila.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

as i read the line about browsing through a book in this post, it popped into my head that i am finally getting to an end of the seemingly endless supply of books you gave me years and years ago. mind you i have read others in between those but they have lasted a while. i just wanted to thank you again for giving me hours of adventure, romance, and suspense...lol.
and acctually the books that i have left to read are resting on the small wooden bookshelf you also gave me years ago. this is sadly the only bookself i have in my apartment because it is small enough to fit.
reading your post just reminded me of how something i look at everyday is so filled with you.
~your goddaughter

Patricia Marie said...

If you read this comment. I love you Nicole.

Anonymous said...

OOOOO you all are such a loving family :sniff,sniff:

Patricia Marie said...

Feeling left out. I love you too Trish. sniff,sniff,
Hand me a hanky won't you.

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha Ha, LMAO!

Kristi K. said...

Oh haha! I haven't watched soaps since Josh and Jess were little. Then I quickly decided not to watch them because they were a. addicting b. made my brain cels shrink c. I never got any housework done. But I remember those story lines well!

(Wasn't Lucky getting women pregnant over a decade ago when I was still watching?!) Wait, that must have been his great great grandpa. Because you know how fast kids grow up in these stories. They're babies one week, then going to Harvard the following year. :)

Thanks for the laugh!