Friday, January 26, 2007

Oh Me Oh My, What Fine Webs We Weave

Remember that name I came across on the records of Ellen Boland (1858)? That name known as Michael Doherty? Well, I investigated it a little further. Instead of just reading the Text "via" computer translated by a third party, I took a very close look at the ACTUAL ship passenger document itself.

And what I found out was a very valuable piece of "buried" family history.

That document dated September 6th, 1908 had the name Michael Doherty written next to the Boland names but what was written on that document was not the same information given in the "text translated version".

Michael Doherty was not listed as the step-brother/step-brother-in-law of Ellen/John Boland but he was listed as the son/step-son. In case it was a mistake, I looked up the children of Ellen & John that traveled over on that ship, "Friesland". Right there in black and white, the name Michael Doherty was listed as step-brother to the children.

So what does this all mean?

It means our great great grandmother Ellen Boland was married before in Ireland and had a son. I traced Michael Doherty's birth as being in 1877. Because divorce was illegal in Ireland, I am positive Ellen's first husband died.

Furthermore, the documents I read clearly stated that Michael Doherty was still in Killala, Ireland at the time his mother/step-father and step-siblings went to Philadelphia. I am curious as to know if Michael Doherty really ever came to Philadelphia and if he did was it for a visit or to live.

Then there is the question of Ellen Boland's maiden name. My entire life I was told it was Doherty. However, it now appears that Doherty was not her maiden name but the married name of her first husband.

Of interest, Ellen and John Boland's first born child Mary was born in 1884.

No comments: