Wednesday, May 23, 2007

John Wayne

"There's a generation of Americans that kind of grew up with Wayne, matured with Wayne and grew old with Wayne, through all the trials and traumas of modern American history - and in doing so, found in him a voice they understood."

I generally read the news on-line. So when I came across this article about the 100th birthday of John Wayne, I needed to add my own piece of history to the story.

My grandfather, William J. Gallagher II loved John Wayne (he watched every single movie he ever made) and I did not realize until I read this article that John Wayne was not only close to my grandfather's age in life but died one year before him. I guess I knew it but never really paid much attention to it. So, why take notice now? I cannot answer that question. I can tell you family is very important to me and maybe it is because I have been through some sh!! lately with my own family that I just took notice of the article and its reminder of another person whom I cherished "once upon a time in my life".

I was close to my grandfather. I adored him. He was a terrific role-model who loved life with all its challenges and successes. He was a simple man who loved simple things and like his hero believed there was a right way and a wrong way to live life. (I do, however, wonder if he knew John Wayne was married three times. I am not sure the grandfather I knew would approve of that.)

Like the character John Wayne played in the movies, my grandfather was strong of character, popular among his peers and extremely patriotic.

If you want to read this article, here is the link. http://apnews.excite.com/article/20070523/D8PA4RO80.html

No comments: