Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Preparation Part II

Why is it when I stop at the super market to pick up just a few things, it ends up being a shopping cart full with a hefty price tag at the check-out?

Today, I did it again. I entered the store with the idea that I would pick up some yams, a few pies, a cake and gravy for the Thanksgiving meal. However, I ended up with a dozen bags full of various items that had absolutely nothing to do with the Thanksgiving meal though I am sure I justified (in my head) that I required all those extra items for some reason that has to do with feeding 14 people. For instance, there was that ice tea, hot chocolate and crumb cake that screamed from the grocery store shelves to just buy them.

Of course, I could not pass up the sale items whether I needed them or not. Then as I walked toward the check out aisle, it occurred to me that all these things I just bought would need to be taken into the house, so there I go, "quick" call Joe and Jackie to make sure they stay put at home until I get there so that I had them to help bring all the stuff in.

Did I mention the juggling act of putting all that stuff away? I mean to tell you there is not one inch of space left anywhere in the freezer, refrigerator or pantry in the kitchen. I took up every available space with all these things I desperately needed to buy at that store.

Of course, I also had to point out to everyone in the house what was allowed to eaten now and what cannot be eaten until Thursday.

Just think , I get to cook all this stuff.

2 comments:

KarinGal said...

Oh, Pat - you're not alone. I did this too about an hour ago. There were FIVE things on my shopping list. How many did I come home with? More than 25.

John's advice is good, but I didn't take it today: He says, stick to the perimeter of the store. That's where the healthiest things are, the things you really need: veggies, fruit, meat, dairy. Darn those middle aisles.

Spicy said...

The worst part is the 20 trips I make back and forth to the car to bring the stuff in and then find place for all that stuff.
It's easy to justify...a lot of mouths to feed and you need the special treats for those lovely grandkids.