Monday, February 18, 2008

Mervine Manuscript Collection At The Historical Society Of Pennsylvania

The story was: Philip Mervine, when a boy, arrived in Philadelphia from Frankford-on-the-Main Germany, in the year 1725. He was the only survivor of the family which consisted of father, mother, and 10 brothers, they having died of fever that broke out on board the ship. The crew and passengers numbered 350 when they left Germany, of which nearly all died of fever and while making the Cape of the Delaware, the Captain and Mate were washed overboard, the vessel dismasted, and after drifting about at the mercy of the waves for some time, the vessel was driven ashore on Long Island and only 9 of the number escaped a watery grave. Phillip succeeded in gaining the shore on a part of the wreck with the loss of every article belonging to his parents except his father's Bible, which is in the possession of his only surviving son, Andrew Mervine, who is now 93 years of age and residing at Roxborough PA on the tract of land on which his father settled." (newspaper 1843)

Folklore or Fact, you decide.

Philip and Mary Mervine had seven children, Andrew (1750), Sarah (1753), John (1755), Philip (1757), William(1760) , Jacob (1762) and George (1765).

Philip's date of birth is questionable. There are records that indicated he was born in 1702 and then another record that indicated he was born in 1724.

Philip lived in Roxborough, Philadelphia Pa and died in 1787. His wife Mary (Maria) was born in 1724 and died on February 6, 1766.

According to folklore, the family bible was passed down through the eldest son Andrew. Andrew continued to live in Roxborough until his death on October 21, 1845. His exact birthdate was November 30, 1750.

I have found records that indicated that three of these brothers fought in the War of Independence. They were Andrew, Philip and Jacob. It should also be noted that the spelling of Mervine is found spelled Marewine and Merwine.

Of Note; How does Alexander Mervine (1830-1905) fit in this family tree? That is the puzzle I am in the mist of right now. One of these sons of Phillip Mervine is the grandfather of my great great grandfather Alexander Mervine but which one? I can rule out Jacob because his line left the Phildelphia area. I spent alot of time researching Andrew because I really thought he was the connection. Now, I am not so sure. John is a possible choice because Alexander named his son, John. Currently, I am at a stand still. But for those who are of the Jacob Mervine line;

Jacob (1762) had a son Peter (1783) who had a son George (1816) who had a son Edwin (1848) who had a daughter Idella(1889).

I have the military records of Andrew, Philip and Jacob which I will share later. I also have 1790, 1800 and 1840 Census records of Andrew, Philip and George. In 1830, there is a younger Andrew (possible son of Andrew), who lived in the same section as my ancestor, Alexander Mervine and was a butcher as was Alexander. This is why I thought Andrew was my connection. Evidence is lacking at this time, but I am sure if I dig deep enough I will find my answer.

Stay tuned. I have more to post. In the meantime, I have a few fun facts; in 1930 the Schroeder's rented the 3909 Ridge Avenue property for 40 dollars a month. This was a five bedroom, three story house. In 1930, William Mervine rented the 2916 W. Gordon Street property for 20 dollars a month. In 1930, the family that lived in my house where I live today paid 8,000 dollars to buy it. The owner of the house was employed as a meat cutter in a chain store. In 2006, I paid 250,000 dollars for the same house.

5 comments:

Maureen said...

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Interestedparty said...

You said that you would share the military records of Philip's 3 sons. I am especially interested in Andrew to which my husband is related via his daughter Sarah who married John Shinkle. Do you have records showing Sarah as Andrew's daughter and also Andrew's military time?

Interestedparty said...

Thanks for posting what you have. I am interested in records showing Andrew as Revolutionary War hero and also linking him to a daughter named Sarah who married John Shinkle. I have other relatives who lived since 1700s in Manayunk and Roxoborough area so realitives may have connections.

Jolene said...

I would love info on Jacob Mervine and his service during the American Revolution - also proof of him living in Pennsylvania.

Unknown said...

James

anyone who wants more information on the Mervine family should contact me, James Mervine @jimmarmervin@aol.com.