Tuesday, May 12, 2009

PhillyBilly

I received a comment on an earlier post I wrote and I hope the gentleman who wrote it contacts me by personal email because I would really like to speak with him about Mt. Vernon since some of my relatives from County Mayo were grave diggers at the cemetery. Here is the comment left to me today.

"Cool Site...I was fascinated to see the list of pastors of St. Bridget's. My great, grandparents were married there in 1889, by the Rev. William Walsh, who was a cousin to the family.Of interest, my great grandfather worked in Mt. Vernon Cemetery, located at the corner of Ridge & Lehigh Ave., adjacent to Laurel Hill Cemetery. His son, my grandfather, served as the caretaker for the cemetery for more than 30 years living in the home on the grounds. Over those years, he hired countless Irish immigrants, many living in the work bunker until they had enough money to rent or buy their first home in America. Most of those men were from the eastern part of County Mayo, or western Sligo...the portion that was eventually transferred to Mayo in 1898.I intend to read your site cover to cover as time permits. Thanks for making it public.All the Best...Bill H. (Rydal, PA)"

2 comments:

steveroni said...

Go Blogging! And good things will happen. they do happen to me every single day.

Unknown said...

I am the person who left the comment regarding the website which went to mention a family history with Mt. Vernon Cemetery. I think this note would for Pat. I couldn't find your email address, so I'm leaving this comment.

Email me at:
bill_rebel@yahoo.com

Subject Line:
Mt. Vernon or something like that

I'd be glad to discuss the cemetery, etc. with you.

All the Best...Bill