Friday, February 17, 2012

Journey

Just heard that the 1940 census records will be out in a few weeks. Genealogy nuts like myself get all excited about census records and old cemeteries. We are an unique bunch and I just got a new camera just in time. Spring will be upon us and that equals research. With churches and schools closing left and right, it is going to get increasingly harder to get records, because it has been my experience that once a church shuts its doors, the records get sent somewhere else and that is what makes research so difficult. I am really glad I have been through St, John the Baptist records before they closed and just the other year, I went through St. Bridget's records and St. Bridget's is preparing to close.

For sometime now, I have been trying to get into Mt. Vernon cemetery, but discovered after they closed the cemetery, the records were sent to some lawyer in VA. Burial records are an important resource as they give next of kin, address where they resided and sometimes cause of death. Thank God, Laurel Hill has kept excellent records stored in a vault. I got a lot of information from those records.

There are still a few missing pieces to my family puzzle on both sides.


  • What happened to my great grandfather Lukus Wisloski?

  • Where is he interred?

  • Where were my great grandparents John & Ellen Boland living in the early 1920's?

  • What happened to Alexander Mervine's wife Maryanne after his death?

  • Why did my grandfather John Weleski change his name from Wisloski to Weleski between the birth of my father in 1933 and my uncle in 1945?

I hope I can find the answers to these questions, but if not I am sure I will enjoy the journey. I will continue to talk about places and people along the way, and add some therapeutic stuff in the mix along the way, but for now, I have a new class in Ethics to begin tomorrow. Oh and I am going to be a Mom Mom again in the Fall!


No comments: