Thursday, May 24, 2012

Genetics

How I love the study of Genetics. My coworkers make fun of me when they see me with my head in a book or information printed out from the NIDA site and take chromosomes apart and research which chromosome is linked to which drug a person maybe dependent on. Then I go a little further with the genes. Which genes on what chromosome are linked to substance abuse/dependency and are the genes located on the long arm of the chromosome or the short arm and how were they identified.

NERD.

Concrete Thinker.

Where is the wonder in life?

These are the remarks I laugh off from my coworkers.

I am told, I require an an answer to everything. I consider that the best part of me, as well as the worse part of me. It is a double edged sword. I always require an answer and a time frame to go with that answer and if the time frame does not occur, I may be a little anal about it. Sometimes I verbally express this. Mostly, I have learned to suppress it. Stay in my own lane, I tell myself nearly every blessed damn day. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I fail miserably. But this is me. This is the sum of myself. Smart to a fault. Impatient to a point. Letting go and letting things just happen? Oh Dear God, that is so damn hard. I lack success in that department.

Other stuff.

My plants blew over and lost most of their soil on the balcony. I question whether or not being on the 10th floor is going to allow me the pleasure of a balcony oasis? High enough for the beautiful sun rises and sun sets, but also high enough for those cross winds. I will figure it out.

Family Education was a blast last night. (Tongue in cheek)

Sometimes I wonder if I work in an asylum.

Many successful discharges with patients going to long term programs. Yes. I am just great. Most are my female patients. Oh what a relief! That moment lasted two seconds, as I was assigned two new female patients today. There are so many family issues with females, and so much emotional stuff = long days at work.

One male patient had me laughing so hard today, I nearly fell out of my chair.

I am fortunate enough to see their human side. The side their families generally do not see.

We have some talented guys who sing and play guitar. I find myself just standing with them as they play. What a wonderful and enjoyable sight.

A patient I had a year ago called today. He relapsed. I told him I expected to see his face tomorrow.

This is basically a normal day in my life.

Family News;
My oldest grandchild will be graduating from grade school on June 11th. I will be there proud as can be as his grandmother. His birth nearly eleven years granted me the title grandmother, and it has been a blessing ever since. I remember his birth. I remember all the births of my three grandchildren. No one can take those memories away.

No comments: