Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Uncle Jack

He has been transferred to Capistrano Beach Care Center and began palliative care. His disease is very rare in the general population, but not rare in my family history. I want to see him. I want to say, "Goodbye". I want to give his family a copy of the article I wrote years ago that was published. It was an interview with him, about his growing up years, his neighborhood, his friends, his connection to Laurel Hill. I gave him a published copy years ago. I am not sure whether or not he still has it. I want to give him another copy and one to his family. I know now, he told me things, he never shared with them. I want to share them. Not once did I ever speak to my uncle where he did not tell me, "I love You". He has been through hell. He lost his leg. He had surgery to stop bleeding in his stomach, liver, esophagus. Before, they took his leg, they tried to save it by cutting it open from hip to toe. All this over a rare blood disorder, a blood cancer out of control.

Palliative care is a step up from hospice. There is really no difference. I cannot imagine what he is thinking. He was so strong, which is why he has survived all these bleed-outs and surgeries. He ate healthy, walked miles everyday, enjoyed his life, laughed, loved, did not drink or smoke, took vitamins, washed his hands to avoid viruses. He was so much like my grandpop. He even resembled him. Out of three sons, Uncle Jack looked like my grandfather. Today, I hold him close to my heart and hope I am on a plane to Southern California in the near future.
  Uncle Jack with my cousin John and his son, Finn. We are a tall family and Uncle Jack reminded me of my grandfather who when he walked into a room, you felt his presence.
Grandpop holding my son, Shaun in 1978. I adored this man.
Uncle Jack and Aunt Polly's children and grandchildren. They had five boys before they had a girl. From left to right, Matt, Kathleen, John, Paul, Brian, Eric, Aunt Polly and Uncle Jack. My cousin Kathleen is 6 feet tall. She is the tallest female granddaughter/cousin among the females in our family. I am the shortest at 5"7". Birth order of my California born cousins are; Eric, John, Brian, Matthew, Paul and Kathleen. Uncle Jack is the second oldest of five children born to William and Anna McCaffrey Gallagher.

My grandparents named all their children after a family member; William Joseph (after his Dad), John Patrick (after my grandmom's Dad), Collum Eugene (after my grandmom's cousin and the priest(Father Eugene) who was godfather to my great grandmother Mary Keller Gallagher), Mary Louise (after my great grandmother and the Blessed Virgin) and Ann Marie (after her Mom).

No comments: