Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother

It is yet another Mother's Day where flower and card sales hit an all time high, brunches, dinners, lots of smiles on mothers and children alike. Exactly what is a mother? Look at the social networks and you will see pages and pages of "my mom is the greatest. bless my mom in heaven. smiles. smiles. more smiles."

Grant it. If you raised a child or two, three or ten, you know first hand the responsibility. It is a responsibility that supersedes every other responsibility in life and though responsibility lessens as the child becomes older, the small worries are replaced with large worries and though we are suppose to love our children unconditionally and with all our hearts, there are times when one does not like their children. However, do not expect any mother to ever admit that statement. "I love you but man, sometimes I really do not like you."

Then there is the guilt.

Probably do not want to go there.

I was told that a Catholic mother's duty was to keep the family together in times of adversity. I guess that extends to grandchildren and in-laws. Let me just say, that last statement has been one I have reminded myself at least ten times a day in the past oh, I cannot even tell you. I do believe it is my job as a mother and a grandmother to go above and beyond to keep my family together. I follow my conscious and it never let's me down. I do not follow the advice of others, though I know they give it out of love. I can only follow my conscious. I also have learned in the last month or so to keep my mouth shut. My thoughts are my thoughts. My feelings are my feelings. My pain is my pain. My joy is my joy. People pretend to care/understand and/or they really do care, however, they have no clue and though I thought it was a good idea to share my thoughts and feelings, I realized unless my shoes have been walked in there really is no understanding.

Mother's Day? My grandmother did not celebrate the day. She did not believe "mothers" needed a special day to be honored, because carrying a child, giving birth to a child, walking the hall with baby in arms on many sleepless nights, kissing boo boos on sore knees, crying with or for, loving, adoring, being frustrated and angry with, and sometimes just not liking them, but loving them was a gift from God and not a commericalized day to be honored because everyday it is a honor to be a mom.

No comments: