Thursday, October 17, 2013

Just Me

I was told by a patient I was sweet. Hmmm? Sweet? I have been told a lot of things but sweet was never one of them with the exception of when I was a child. I believe my mother called me "a sweet child". I would refer to myself as firm, honest, straight forward with a desire to never sugar coat anything. I can be soft, sometimes emotional and sensitive, over-thinker, worrier, realist, talk too much and sometimes too loud but sweet. I wonder.

I believe I am really good with the 20 something year old males. I have to credit my sons. They taught me everything. Therefore, I can relate and understand the male creatures because I managed to survive raising three such creatures myself. Raising my boys taught me how to be a good counselor especially to boys the same ages. I guess if I was honest, I am pretty good with the females as well as the males.

The young adults (these days) are involved in heavier drugs with severe consequences. When I was a teenager in the 70's, there were drugs but heroin was something only those in gangs messed around with. I grew up in the age of pot smoking, beer drinking, LSD, Coke and Angel Dust. It was before the invention of crack and popular heroin usage. Rehab was rare. Crime rates were low. In the Jack in the Box crowd, we were broken up into three groups. The ones who went off to college. The ones who went into the military and the ones who became the addicts. Today, we are counselors, nurses, pharmacists, business owners, computer programmers, cops, teachers, wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, retired military, still in the military, and some are dead as a result of drug and alcohol abuse, use and consequences there of.

Many of us are still friends. Many of us still spend time together. Clubs, dances, bars, concerts have been replaced by weekends away, dinners out and backyard BBQ's. Wine replaces beer. Most of us wear glasses, are alittle overweight and stressed out, talk about kids and now grandkids.

We look different. We talk different. We still feel the same.

I have no idea how I got on this subject. I start to write and end up with the stuff above. Good Lord!

No comments: