Friday, November 22, 2013

Codependent Life

 
When making amends, I had to put myself at the top of the list. Somewhere along my life’s journey, I sacrificed myself in a desperate attempt to be liked and accepted and to control the uncontrollable in my life. What is crazy, is that sometimes I did this for people I didn’t even like.

Living the life of a chameleon trying to blend in and be accepted came at a big price. Many times I sacrificed my own needs for someone else’s wants trying to win their approval and acceptance. I went to places I didn’t want to go, did things I didn’t want to do, 

Looking back I am amazed how far down I was in the rabbit hole. I did not know how to get out but the sad thing is that I was afraid to get out. It was the only life I knew. One of the greatest gifts of this program was learning to be a friend to myself. As my self-esteem grew so did my courage to change the things that I could change. Over time I’ve leaned that I’m never going to get it right all the time and I’ve learned to forgive myself when I don’t.
 
 
 
  

No comments: