Friday, November 17, 2017

Healing and Reading

Since my October 30th back surgery and being home on medical leave, I have finished two books and started a third last night. I read a very long book on Truman by David McCullough which was well written and I recommend if you are a lover of history as I am. The book left me respecting Truman more and caring for Eisenhower less. The book is about 1,000 pages so be prepared to sit for the long run. The second book I finished since the 30th of October was Queen Victoria's Children by John Van der Kiste. It gives a fairly decent description of Victoria as well as her children and allows a window into the history of Germany/Prussia as Victoria's children married into those families. The book I started yesterday and which has held my interest a.k.a I stayed up late last night reading is The Last Republicans by Mark K Updegrove which highlights George H W Bush and his relationship with his son George W Bush. I am assuming the title is indicative of the current Trump Presidency.
I will let you know what I think of the book upon its completion however I read ten chapters last night and find it very well written so far.


I am feeling so much better and I am healing from the surgery however I find myself wanting to do more and knowing I have restrictions I must follow for the next four weeks as it will take time to heal on the inside. Until you are not permitted to lift anything you do not realize how much of daily life is "lifting something". I cannot carry the laundry basket to the basement but I can place clothes in the washer. I cannot carry the clothes back upstairs but I can fold them and put them away. I cannot grocery shop or bring the bags into the house however I can put the groceries away as long as it is not a case of water or a gallon of milk. I can wipe down a counter top but I cannot mop a floor or vacuum a carpet. When I have my granddaughter she knows she must climb up onto the bed if I need to dress her because I cannot lift her.


As difficult as it is following restrictions, I am following those restrictions because I do not want to undo  what has been fixed. I have always been an avid reader so read I shall. I have other books lined up as I will be on medical leave until December 18th when I return to work.

No comments: