Sunday, February 12, 2012

Courage to Change with alittle Hope for Today

I am a firm believer in daily readers. I believe they can help ground a person, therefore I read them each morning and every afternoon share those same readings with my own patients. There is one reading I would like to paraphrase, but before I do that I want to tell you I am currently researching a new treatment modality I learned about yesterday known as "cinema therapy". It is a therapy used to treat mental health issues such as depression, anxiety and many more. There are a list of films recommended under each diagnosis that one should watch to change one's mood. When I get more information, I will share it.

Courage to Change/Hope for Today
The roles one played for a long time in families were those of caretaking and fixer. It was the nurturing parent, caring sibling, responsible grandparent. One felt as if it were their responsibility to care for everyone's emotional and physical needs. It kept one on constant guard lest something awful should happen. As time went by and events occurred, it became clear that one's true responsibility was to care for one's self. Caretaking and controlling actually hurt others, cheating them out of an opportunity to learn and grow. Time to detach with love. Detaching does not mean abandoning. It simply means minding one's own business, take action for what one needs and recognize there is not always answers or solutions. It is not easy for others to accept the changes one makes and is often met with opposition though the main need is self preservation. Without self preservation, one falls by the wayside, becomes sick in heart and soul and is no good to anyone anyway.

As for myself and my own self preservation, I use creativity. Creativity is a powerful tool to celebrate who I am. It is a spiritual energy that nourishes vitality. It is a way to replace negative thinking with positive action. Creativity for me is writing, researching and learning. I came across two sayings that sums up my thoughts.

"The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak". (Hans Hofmann)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". (Theodore Roosevelt)

No comments: