Friday, October 20, 2006

Final Destination "Arlington Cemetery"

So if you bring kids, please duct-tape their mouths, tie their hands at their wrists, chain their feet at the ankles and lead them with a leash. Now, as a fellow cemetery tour-guide and historical cemetery explorer, I have never seen a sign like the one above and I seriously do not mean any disrespect to those who have fallen while protecting our freedom. But did they need to add that second line. Because I got to be honest with you, though I kept Shaun off the head-stones I did allow him to walk on the grass. Hell, I even allowed him to roll down the lawn. I am sure there is a special place in hell for the lawn-walking folks just like me. If it were Laurel Hill, he would be climbing across the head-stones and up on the mausoleums.
As in any cemetery, the size of your head-stone reflects the amount of wealth you had while alive. Arlington is no exception.

Tomb of the unknown soldier, a most serene place.
A marine guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Shaun taking in the scenery which was amazing.
Exceptional architectural work in the cemetery as seen here.
The graves of President John F Kennedy, Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis and two of their babies that died, a daughter in 1957 and a son in 1963.
The view from the Kennedy graves. Though the cemetery is located just across the bridge in Virginia, you can see downtown Washington DC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember going with you to Washington when I was little and a car hitting the back of your car in front of the cemetery. That was a fun and memorable trip.