Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Diary of a Honeymoon

Day 1 “The Travel Day”


We got a late start this morning to our New England State of choice, Vermont. The late start had a lot to do with cleaning up the messy Bed & Breakfast Room I checked into the night before the wedding with my sister and daughter-in-law then spent the wedding night in with my new husband.

Because we (Marianne, Trish & I) returned late from our Saturday of Beauty, (pretty close to 415p for a 5p ceremony) we tore off our clothes and threw them everywhere so we could get dressed and arrive close to if not at 5p to the Inn across the road. I will write about our day of pampering, hair and makeup at a later date.

We got our directions “via” internet (big mistake) and ended up taking a scenic route through North Jersey before we headed into the state of New York. It was not the nicest part of the state of New Jersey neither I might add. The idea was to avoid Manhattan at all costs so that we did not end in traffic and become more easterly directed then needed. Once we did get through New Jersey the drive through New York’s Catskill Mountains was beautiful.

It was the first time I ever saw these mountains though I grew up surrounded with its stories. You see, my grandfather was an avid hunter in the Catskills along with his brother-in-law Coll and Coll’s son Buddy. Grand pop had more stories about his adventures as a hunter.

We drove passed Woodstock before we headed to Albany and decided to spend the night somewhere north of the city. We stopped at an Inn in Saratoga Springs both exhausted from the day’s drive though I must admit I did not drive even one mile. Bill drove while I read the Sunday paper, drank my coffee and ate a sesame seed bagel. Yeah, married life is so hard…….

DAY 2 “Destination Green Mountain Inn”

We got on the road before 9am and left what is known as the 3 H’s, Saratoga Springs, New York, the place known for its Health (springs), History (revolutionary war) and most importantly for the folks up here, Horses as in Horse Racing.

As we drove up Route 4N, we passed a town called Schuyerville. In this town we came across a sight never seen in our everyday part of the country called Philadelphia. It was a small waterfall with steam or at least the appearance of steam that flooded the air. We passed several other small farm towns before we arrived in the well known ski town of Killington. Because of the unseasonably warm temperatures, the ski areas were closed. Of course this cannot be good for the local economy which draws tourists into their town for the popular winter sport. The weather was even too warm for “fake” snow so the slopes were brown and dry.

From Killington to Stowe (our final destination) we drove miles and miles through what I can only call “Hillbilly Bob-like” towns where anyone close to the human species would only survive in these towns if they were actually born here. I did not see one supermarket of any kind let alone a mall that may have a store on site. (Where do they shop? I would surely have Macy’s withdrawal if I lived here.) However, we did see signs such as “Moose, Deer or Cattle Crossing”.

As a city girl born and raised, I could never survive in a town like this. Yes, the scenery is beautiful and peaceful but I would need Kohl’s or Macy’s and the occasional Starbucks and of course a pharmacy for my Zoloft refills. And then there is the question of entertainment. What do the folks do for enjoyment? Sit and wait for a Moose to walk by or spend Saturday night at the Pork and Bear Bar? (Bill took this opportunity to tell me I would never make it as a pioneer.)

Then there are the names of the people, places and things here in the farmland of Vermont. Check below for a few examples.

1) Small dog electronics
2) Poverty Road
3) Yestermorrow
4) Church of the Crucified One with a preschool called Precious Moments

Late afternoon we made it to the Inn and I must tell you it was beyond my expectations. The suite was absolutely amazing with its king size canopy bed complete with down comforters that sat right in right of a gas fire-place and had a hot-tub in the same room. The bathroom had a large two person glass enclosed shower with gold fixtures and a make-up vanity. Did I mention the dressing room with the double glass pane doors? It was beautiful and perfect for our first week as a married couple.



DAY 3 “Tree Huggers & Metric Along With Dried Out Food and Of Course the Many Tourist Traps Known as Country Stores”

Ok so the food up here has a lot to be desired. I think they have this terrible habit of overcooking everything as was in the case with last night’s very expensive filet. The filet was so tough I could have knocked out Hulk Hogan with it. This morning we had breakfast at this quaint (dingy) road-side diner called Munchies where the pancakes were so dry they actually stuck to my ribs. But hey, I traded a chance to eat a gourmet muffin and coffee at one of the many chic bakeries up here so that Bill & I could drive miles just so he could eat an egg all for the sake of marriage.
Speaking of food, there were barely any places in which to eat breakfast since most places open for breakfast were bakeries that served items such as rolls, cider donuts, muffins and breads especially the “very delicious and popular “Honey Oatmeal bread.

On the same subject, (food) we actually did have a decent meal today at the New England Culinary Institute in the state’s capitol Montpelier which I might add is a beautiful little town that reminds you of the Victorian Age that is German with a French Flare. It was also the first time I saw in this modern age of funeral homes/directors referred to as undertakers on the signs outside their establishments. We decided to drive out to Montpelier after a very disappointing trip out west to the city of Burlington to see Lake Champlain. Since the weather was cloudy and rainy, you could not see the lake because of the dense fog over the water and I was not impressed at all with the city itself because it reminded me of the factories of North Jersey.

Some of the things we noticed on our daily trip today were the many French Canadian radio and television stations that are common here in Northern Vermont and their use of the metric system. Also we have encountered a few interesting names of the people, places and things around here as are listed below.

1) The farm between
2) No school snowboard shop
3) Beagle factory

Then we need to take this opportunity to tell you that everywhere you turn you see Teddy Bear Factories, Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream and Maple Syrup. And when I say Maple Syrup, I mean as in maple syrup lollipops, candles, sugar and of course its syrup. I call this the state where to be a dentist is probably a lucrative trade to be in. Sucking on maple syrup lollipops cannot be good for one’s teeth no matter how you view it.

Tomorrow’s destination, Montreal in Québec….

No comments: