Sunday, June 29, 2008

Pretzel Park

Bordered by Cresson, Silverwood, Rector, Cotton and Roxborough Ave overlooking in the direction of Main Street. After the festival, Bill & I sat on a bench in Pretzel Park on our way back to where our car was parked on the 4200 block of Terrace Street.
For some reason, it was comforting to know that my grandparents once sat in this same park years gone past. It gave me a sense of peace and serenity. I have also brought my grandsons Shaun & Nikolas to this park as well.St. Josaphat's Polish Catholic Church is in the background at right of where I sat on the bench in Pretzel park. St. Josaphat's is located at Cotton & Silverwood. What is interesting about this church and its location is both sides of my children's families lived on the blocks around this church. The Zysk family lived at 162 Roxborough Avenue in 1910, then moved around the corner to 4334 Silverwood Street in 1920. The Wisloski/Weleski family lived on 166 Roxborough Avenue in 1910 until the 1970's.
St. John the Baptist is in the background to the left of where I sat on the bench in pretzel Park located at Rector & Cresson Streets. This is the church where my grandparents William & Anna Marie McCaffery Gallagher) were baptized, married and had four of their own children baptized at. My great grandmother Eva Wisloski was buried from this church in 1932. Her sons Andrew and Samuel Wisloski were also buried from this church in 1938.

No comments: