Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sleepless in Philadelphia

Another night of tossing and turning. Welcome to my world. It has been a stressful week. The upcoming birthday of my youngest son tomorrow does not help. I miss him. He should be celebrating his 28th birthday with his child, his family. It is another day, we all need to get through just like Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day and all the rest. I took the day off from work because I know it will be an emotional day for me. Of course the result of that decision is seeing all my patients today and perhaps even coming into work over the weekend for a few hours to catch up. My patients should not have to suffer because their counselor needs to take a Mental Health Day off. That last statement sounds funny to me.

Joey was born three weeks early on July 22, 1983. He came into the world on a hot sunny summer day to join his two other brothers Shaun(5y) and Joshua (18m). He was our surprise baby. The baby who slept through the night, pleasant, and that smile. He always had a beautiful smile through to adulthood. He was the shy preschooler who played with his hair. By grade school, he became the social butterfly and as a teenager had flocks of girls demanding his attention. Teachers loved him. He was special and unique and when a freshman at Temple, he left school to join the Navy, because of the events of 9/11. After his discharge, he returned to school. He worked hard. He loved sports. And when his child was born, he was there loving and supporting. He loved his daughter. He was a terrific father as well as son. I miss him. I love him.

No comments: