Thursday, October 18, 2012

Rommey

A fellow therapist looked at me in total disbelief when I told him, I will not vote for Obama, but for Rommey. The reaction I got and I quote, "But you are a therapist". I know what I am. I also know therapist = help = service unto others. However, I tell any patient I have that I will meet them 50%, but they had to meet me 50% of the way. I will not do all the work. I cannot change anyone. I am here to educate, provide tools and support. I will not enable. Is it not our profession to help people stand on their own two feet? Is it not our profession to guide not supply? I can't fix anyone, so if someone comes into treatment with the mind set that they need a certain diagnosis to receive SSI or SSDI, they chose the wrong therapist. I do not get involved with those services. If someone really has a serious problem, they should be under a doctor's care. I am of the mind set that if you hurt your back in construction, seek temporary assistance until you get back in school and learn a new trade. Even the deaf and blind are gainfully employed. I teach personal responsibility. It is up to each and everyone of else to take responsibility for our lives and our choices. I see too many people looking for a hand-out. I see too many people going on SSI or SSDI, working under the table and receiving food stamps. That is the reason our current system is bankrupt. It was put into place to help the truly needed, yet it has been abused for so long that it is easier to ask for a hand-out and never make a honest attempt at self improvement. I have always worked even when I raised three children. I never applied for unemployment. When I injuried my shoulder and could no longer work in the lab, I took out loans and went back to school in my late 40's, while interning and working fulltime. Many days, I felt like saying, "fuck this". I could have gotten a nice worker's comp payout. I did not. I went back to work. I could have applied for SSDI. I did not. I went back to work. I have paid taxes all my life. I pay into short and long term disability. I used the short term for the first time in my life for 5 weeks after I exhausted all my Paid Time Off.

I am a therapist. I am a really good therapist. I am also voting for Rommey.

Update
Thanks to all the readers. I hit an all time high of 45,251 hits today. The last highest date of hits this high was October 13th. Number # topic is still How Obama paid for Harvard?

No comments: