Saturday, August 10, 2013

Life Through The Eyes of Your Grandchildren

The first thing I did before posting these pictures is I asked permission to do so by my grandsons' parents. They granted permission, therefore I will be able to post and write about how (we) his grandparents are celebrating My eldest grandson's 12th birthday. 
 

 The grandfather.
 Of course, my eldest grandson has a younger brother and we would not leave him behind.


What I have learned about this child (nearly teenager) standing up there on the balcony is how intelligent he becomes each time I see him. He loves history and asked us to take him to Russia someday. I told him I would take him to Ireland. We may plan it for his 13th birthday.

Being the eldest grandchild and being the only grandchild for the first four years of his life, he quickly became a frequent flier. My first trip with him was to Florida. I believe I have taken him to Florida at least six times and of course to Atlantis Bahamas and the very many road trips.

The last two trips with my grandsons proved how mature they are becoming. We have driven in silence twice now. Very different from the days of two youngsters fighting in the back seat of the car.
Both boys with IPhones and ear plugs playing games and listening to music, while we drove the two hours to the mountains. Last night, conversations about how the cashier at Kmart had a difficult time counting change (needed his contact eye solution) and how we spoke about some people having more difficulty with learning than others. (he will be entering 7th grade and taking college level math)

His interest in the historic houses on the way and how he wanted to see the Rocky mountains. He spoke about England and the possibility of being able to see the queen. Better yet, he knew her to be Queen Elizabeth.

He will be 12 years old on August 14th and I still remember the night he was born, the first time I held him, the feeling of being a first time grandmother. I cannot describe the feeling in words. I loved being a mother, but being a grandmother is something special.

Today, we may hike the trails to the water-falls or go to the water park. We will be buying a cake with candles and singing Happy Birthday. Birthdays are special and when each grandchild celebrates their birthday, we (grandparents) try to make it special as in (us time). I have wonderful memories of my own grandparents and since my grandchildren's birth, I wanted to create memories for them.

No comments: