Thursday, August 01, 2013

New Day New Post

Have no idea why I typed that title. Welcome to my world, where I generally have no idea why I do what I do, When you figure it out, let me know. BTW, I may yet to come back home with some corn in my trunk since I see fields and fields of it everyday. Do you think Farmer Bill will notice? Anyway, I slept really well last night, got up, went down for breakfast, had a conversation with an elderly couple who repaired antique dolls and were from Indiana, then went back upstairs for a two hour after breakfast nap.

Time for the trip down to Harper's Ferry. Western Maryland to Virginia to West Virginia, then back up to Maryland. Harper Ferry Sights;

 This is an acre of land I purchased 20 so odd years ago. I know. I know. Will I ever do anything with it? Probably not. But to the right, this land has this view.

My guess is I will pass it down to my kids. It belongs to me. Yes, in my name. Yes, I love history and the beauty of this area so much, I purchased it for a fairly cheap price. The only agreement I had to make was promise not to build on it for ten years.

Anyway, we parked the car and took the shuttle down into the valley of the old Harper's Ferry town known as the place John Brown fought against slavery (which is why we have West Virginia to begin with since they broke away from the state of Virginia over the slavery/war) and of course why John Brown ended up dead.




 I really need this chair in my own house.

Above pictures with the exception of the church are from an old time Boarding House. On another note, if anyone ever experienced the glory of climbing a hill in Manayunk, this town will give you a run for your money. Hills, steps, hills and more steps. Believe me. I fell up some steps. Yes. I know. People fall down steps. I need to be different and fall up steps.











St Peter's Catholic Church has been here since 1830 founded by the Irish immigrants who came over to build the town, mills, canals and railroads.

 This is what's left of St. John's Episcopal Church that served as a battle field hospital during the Civil War, but did not make it.

Had lunch at this old Bed & Breakfast.

  We ordered the Chicken Pot Pie. It consisted of two pieces of chicken, about three peas and surrounded in all bread. Basically, I turned the sucker upside down to get to the three peas and called it a day. A hour later we were eating dinner. SOMEWHERE ELSE.



We got away from Harper's Ferry for a moment to show you where we ate real food. When you pull up and spot a sign "biker's welcome" with fake palm trees and tacky statures of pirates, how could one not go in for a meal. I had the best steak. Mexican style. In a Biker Bar.

Back to Harper's Ferry.



Need any Dry Goods?


Or a direction to High Street.

Or a picture of Bill standing on Thomas Jefferson's Rock. Not that any of us know for sure, the man actually ever stood on it, but what the hell, name a rock after him.


 I asked Bill why he took this next picture. He told me, "in case you fell, I wanted it on camera".

Little does he know I birthed three babies, the last one after a hiking trip, took three boys grocery shopping, let alone allowed them in my car as they fought constantly, and I am still alive today, thank you very much. INSANE. BUT. ALIVE. I. THINK.



Apparently, I lost my fear of heights. Damn it! I stood on Jefferson's rock. Have a year like I just did and a thousand mile drop to the bottom of a mountain, hitting rocks along the way, while being washed away by the river, and pecked to death by crows and fish seems like a piece of cake. And this concludes the pictures of the day.


 Practicing for my homeless days sleeping on a bench.

No comments: