Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Serenity

I was in the hospital this past weekend. I was feeling exhausted. My head was pounding. I took Advil and threw it up. Sunday, I had tingling down my left arm and numbness on the left side of my face and the most severe headache I ever felt. The tingling scared me and I went to Einstein's ER. What happened next was so chaotic and the pace so fast, I did not know what happened. I heard the call that we have a 53 year old female with stroke symptoms to being rushed to having monitors placed on me, Xray, EKG, CAT Scan, discussions of TPA, Clots, Brain Bleeds, IV's, Lab Work, High Blood Pressure, Oxygen, Neurology, Ischemic Vessel Disease, Vessel Compression, Medication that nearly had me off the bed as a result of a side effect, TIA.

After it was all over, I did not get TPA, the CAT Scan was negative for a brain bleed, a clot resolved itself in one of those Compressed vessels in the brain, to discussions of blood thinners, risk factors, genetics and thoughts of a paternal 38 year old grandmother who died of a stroke caused by a clot.

Neurologist told me my overall physical health was good. I am active. I eat healthy. However, my chances of having a major stroke in the next three months was 10% and with a daily aspirin, exercise and maintaining a healthy diet with a reduction of stress lowers the risk factor to 2%.

I am going for the 2%.

The ischemic vessel disease will not resolve itself but if I continue to have headaches I will be put on Topamax to prevent the headaches as the headaches compress the vessels even more. The only issue of ischemic vessel disease is that it can occur anywhere in the body. I thought of my uncle who has circulation problems in his legs.

I am OK. I went to work Monday. I listen to music to reduce stress. Susan Boyle and the Celtic Women along with Josh Groban help soothe me. I will remain active. I will continue to eat healthy. I will do the headache journal to track headaches, have my blood pressure taken daily, take that daily aspirin and most importantly, listen to my body. No more pushing it to the limit. No more negative people in my life. If the work cannot get done in a 8 hour day, it will have to wait until the following day.

I am so glad I went to the hospital.

I am so glad I had that CAT Scan.

I am so glad medicine has advanced since 1945.

It is so surreal.

I waited until Monday night to tell my children after debating whether I should or not. I decided, I should especially if there is a genetic factor.

Bill and I discussed my current job.

Should I stay or is it time to go?

I will decide later. Right now, I am slowing down.

I had a TIA (mini-stroke) at age 53 years old. This is bullshit I cannot mess around with. I am not afraid of death, but I am afraid of being in a vegetative state.

Later, I will talk about ischemic vessel disease. 

No comments: