Friday, November 15, 2013

Friday

Mothers of adult children are in an unique position. There comes a moment when you witness your son leave the boy behind and embrace the man he has become. I felt like I experienced that moment with one of my sons this past week when I saw him rise up and take the wheel of being responsible for his own life. The infant that I carried. The preschooler whom I held hands. The grade-schooler who let my hand go. The high-schooler who I watched become the social butterfly.

I held on. I let go. I held on again. I can now let go because he has taken control of his future, his life, despite consequences. It is an amazing feeling to witness this transformation. As a mother of adult children, I still see the infant, the baby, the little boy and I can be blind to the man before me. I have three sons and up to this point, I had let two of the three go. This morning, I have let go of all three. Letting go does not mean I do not love them or support them. It simply means that I have let go of the control. It is a sense of emotional freedom. I love you and I understand it is your life, your decisions, your choices, your responsibility.

In other news;
Jack is fired. Evan is hired.

And this one is on thin ice.

No comments: