Friday, June 09, 2017

Ten Years Old Today

I cannot believe you celebrated your 10th birthday today. I cannot believe it has been six years since I last saw you. You have been on my mind all day and I have come to believe it will never get easier this separation between us.  I look at your picture and I feel as though I do not know this girl. The girl I knew was small with curly strawberry blond hair and green eyes though some said they were blue. I say they were green. The girl I knew had a favorite doll named "sissy" and loved to draw and color. I remember the books I read to you and how we danced to the popcorn popping in the microwave. We watched Disney movies and did puzzles and took long walks in the neighborhood. We spent time at the shore and up the mountains and if I could go back in time I would appreciate you more and not take one moment for granted because you never know when the rug can be pulled from underneath and lose everything that was so precious and close to your heart. I hope that your are happy and safe and that you know love and somewhere deep within your memory you can remember another time and another grandmother who loved you to the moon and back. Happy Birthday Ava Marie.

No comments: