Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A Month In Review

September has not been the best month and I am not sad to see it end. If I was to name this past month, I would call it STRESS because my emotions have been so up and down I may as well be on a roller coaster. Yes, the month has been that BAD.

It started out with the diagnosis and not-so-great prognosis of Molly's Cancer. The Oncologist gave her three months to one year to live WITH treatment. So, it has been a month of radiation and chemotherapy for her. It also has been a month of worry.

As horrible as her prognosis is, she has been feeling better with the treatments so we are all keeping our fingers crossed.

A friend of ours "Patrick" was also diagnosed with Cancer. Throat Cancer to be exact. His prognosis is very favorable but he still needs surgery and the usual tests that go along with this sort of diagnosis.

Then there is the on-going saga of my shoulder. I am still in Physical Therapy and still on those anti-inflammatory drugs. I have a lot of ups and downs and it just so happens this past week is a major downer. The constant pain and limitations this shoulder creates is depressing. I really miss my work at the hospital and even the simplest daily tasks are difficult. I was told this could take a year to fully heal. However, I have never been known for my patience.

Last but not least of the bad news is my son Josh. He relapsed and after missing for weeks he was picked up by the police and now sits in a corrections facility because he has not been bailed out by his father or I.

I spent weeks without even the courtesy of a telephone call but now that he needs my help, not one day goes by without at least two telephone calls from him. I am not sure if I am making the right decision by allowing him to sit in jail. What I do know is this entire situation is very painful and I would not wish this on any parent.

Now that I depressed everyone maybe I should tell you the Happy part of the month of September.

Shaun started kindergarten and I have to say that all of a sudden the "I can not sit still for a moment" kid has become a boy that can sit still long enough to have a "very grown up" conversation with me. Just last week, he told me in "complete detail" everything he is doing in school. He told me the names of every friend that returned to his school but what amazed me even more is he listed the names of every kid who did not return to his school this year. When he told me the president lived in the White House, I jumped on that opportunity to enforce a little History of my own in him. (Oh how I love History) So this weekend, Bill and I will take him on a trip down to Washington DC so he can see a little History for himself. (I subjected my own kids to this every summer. Just ask them how many OLD CEMETERIES they walked through) I made reservations to stay at the Marriott in Arlington, VA. just over the bridge from Washington DC. I plan to take him to the Air & Space Museum (because he thinks he is a soldier which was evident last weekend when he told his friend Oliver he how to salute him) then over to the Vietnam and Korean Memorials, Arlington Cemetery to see the changing of the guards, on to the White House and Capitol and the other Memorials Jefferson, Lincoln and Washington.

Nikolas is really verbally expressing himself now. Just the other week when I was putting toothpaste on his toothbrush, he extended his hand out to me and said as clear as a bright sunny day, "I can do it myself". Who was I to argue with a 22 month old. Other famous Nikolas sayings are of course "No, I know, I don't want too, give me, sorry Shaun, I want to go outside" and many more as I would not have room here to list them.

I met Joseph's girlfriend. She conveniently lives in the apartment below Joseph's and attends the same school as he. I had them both over for dinner and she is very nice. Her name is Jackie.

Shaun and Trish are considering selling their house and moving into a house outside the city where their boys will have more room to play. Trish is studying for a degree in Finance and Management. She works in a bank processing loans among other things.

We had a Baby Shower for my niece Chrissy who is having her first baby due exactly Nine Months after her wedding. Yes, Chris we are counting. (kidding) She knows the baby's sex and even told her mother but both are not telling which is OK because I KNOW ITS A BOY.

Last Saturday, Bill took me for a long ride to the mountains. (because I have been stressed out) It was a spur of the moment thing that turned out to be a glorious weekend trip. More to follow in future posts.....

And my final piece of happy news that occurred this month. After months of Bill asking and waiting for that answer. I have decided to Yes, marry him. We will get married on November 25th.

2 comments:

KarinGal said...

Hooray, hooray, hooray! Congratulations to you both. Will you be heading to CA for the honeymoon??!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is exactly 9 months since my wedding. Which means I had a FABULOUS time in Mexico on my honeymoon. My conception date was Feb. 19th. XOXO